Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Reporting the News in the Crowsnest Pass

Reading a post on my fellow Bloggers site, regarding the issue of "media censorship" in the Crowsnest Pass.
http://blog.johnprince.ca/
I was a little surprised in my five years on Council I have not noticed any kind of censorship in the local papers until now. (Hate to be sarcastic)
Now if we want to talk about bias that's a different issue, some examples.
The four to three vote on council some of the media makes this sound like it's the regular way of doing business, they fail to report that 90%+ of all motions at council record a vote other than 4-3. Even in our corporate review it reports that the 4-3 is only common on significant issues (Crowsnest Centre).
The greater problem where the issue of bias comes in, is that the previous council and every council prior to that had some kind of spilt but because the spilt favoured the Mayor and his supporters that was acceptable and obviously not news worthy . Bias? maybe.
The Corporate Review itself after numerous discussions with various members of our community, I discussed with as many people as I could what came out of it based on what they had read in the media. Depending on the time of the week I spoke to people (One paper comes out on Tuesday the other on Friday) the first comments were all focused on the 4-3 and the perception that the issues Council faces are the fault of one part of council. The group of people I spoke to later in the week seem to feel that there are many issues related to council and its the fault of all of them. Bias? Maybe
The issue of the Crowsnest Centre from what has been printed in the media a total stranger to the Community not knowing the problems, would assume that Council is shutting down a solid, financially viable, some people have even suggested profitable, operation. Of course I do not believe that nonsense but I guess we will find out the truth at the end of the year when the Municipality takes it back over. Bias? Maybe
Speaking of the Corporate Review and thinking about Mr Prince's comments what did the Review have to say about the local media.
Page 69 "The relationship to the local newspapers appears to be mixed and may be based on the degree of support shown by one relative to the other to one "side" of Council" Does that say Bias?
Anyway I tip my hat to Mr Prince for raising this "new issue", I'm sure when he was on Council there was no issues with "Censorship, Bias, One sided reporting, Spilt votes, etc etc"

4 comments:

John Prince said...

Mr. Ward,

I'm sure when he was on Council there was no issues with "Censorship, Bias, One sided reporting, Spilt votes, etc etc"

All I can say is... Been there, done that.

In my basement, I still have a box with 3 years of newspapers back when I was on council. If anybody was to take a look at them, they would see not a month went by where I was not literally roasted over the coals, to put it mildly. I have not looked at those papers since that time, as I do not want to be reminded of what I had to put up with and go through back then. It hurts too much. I leave it to you to guess which paper was by far the most biased, vial, vicious and mean-spirited.

As you know Dean, that paper is still in business doing its job of portraying itself as the fighter for the little guy, while in fact, being nothing more than the willing tool of this mayor and the small elite that run things in this community.

For years now, the mother-daughter team have served their master in keeping this community divided, held-back and downtroddened. Enough is enough. It's time that changed!

Bryan said...

Speaking as a former reporter in the Pass, I applaud yourself and John for their article.

I am not going to say anything on the subject, but consider this:

One newspaper is owned and operated by a multi-billion dollar international newspaper and publishing concern based in Quebec, has a publisher based in Pincher Creek, and a local editor with no political ties to the community.

The other newspaper is owned and published by a very outspoken former municipal politician who is very vocal about certain pet issues in the Pass, and is edited by the publisher's daughter who is director of the board of a facility that is the most debated, contentious political hot potatoes I'm sure the Pass has ever faced.

I think the people of the Pass can (and have been) making their own conclusions on this matter, and for the most part aren't ignorant of where each papers editorial stance is.

Anonymous said...

...man, that is one heavy little area there (The 'Pass that is). Too many folks walking around with chips on their shoulders that hold tons of anger just waiting "settle the score" instead of moving on. The pity of it all is that by the time all the people that keep that place down realize that they have scared any investors away (be it people or capital), the population will be so small that it will worsen the gossip circle that much more. Kind of an implosion thing going on. Glad I'm not there.
Signed: Yeah Right...

Anonymous said...

In reply to Nov 23 anonymous, it makes me think I should have moved to Sparwood instead of here.