Monday, May 30, 2011

Municipal government and transparency in the Crowsnest Pass

After much noise being made about the transparency of municipal politics in the Crowsnest Pass. I have been asked the following question by a number of people. Regarding weather business conducted at retreats is open to the public. My understanding of the MGA is if somebody makes a request under FOIP has long as it does not involve Land, Legal, or Labour the municipality is required to provide that information to any interested taxpayer.

Its not a unreasonable expectation

Below is Councilor Gallants.

"Retreats are common with all municipal governments. In order to reduce expense we have hosted our retreats in council chambers so they may look like a council meeting but they are not. No decisions can be made at a retreat and typically it is just a chance to vet ideas. The results of our retreats will be made public once the information is compiled and written out in a format that makes sense. I believe this is FOIP-able as well as long as it is not one of the three L’s I mentioned above. Anyone is welcome to pursue FOIP action if they feel it is necessary."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dean,
I had heard there was a standoff between our CAO and the Blairmore fire department over showing their books for Thunder in the Valley. Now that our CAO is leaving do they still have to show their books or will it back to business as usual?
Do you think they should have to show their books?

Tom said...

Dean, you did not answer my question. I understand that we can get the information. What I want to know is can I attend these meetings or is council blocking the general public from attending????

Crowsnest Pass Home said...

Sorry Tom, I will get the official answer for you.
In my mind any meeting of council is open to the public, unless it contains the three L's.
Misunderstanding on my part.

Anonymous said...

"no decisions can be made at a retreat".I think just the opposite, many things get decided at a retreat and then are voted on at a council meeting (predecided).The problem with this is, that there is no public debate and we are all left wondering the WHO, WHAT, WHERE and WHY.

Anonymous said...

Dean I saw this comment of Gallants and it did not sit very good with me. If I am understanding this correctly, the council meet in private, “the results of our (their) retreats will be made public once the information is compiled and written out in a format that makes sense” (decisions made) then the citizens will be informed. Gallant goes on to advise us we can pursue FOIP if we want. Is it just me or is this a little condescending? Given the history of nepotism in this community I would think the councilors who are new to this community would understand this is wrong.

I am thankful the Promoter brought to light that Mitchell was irritated having to debate an issue council had all ready decided in one their retreats. These details do not come to light in the edited records of these closed meetings.

This is not the change I voted for.
.