Do you remember the Mayor’s Town hall meeting of June 23 the now infamous “Beef on a bun with lots of salt meeting” we had lights, we had cameras, we had action (RCMP earned their keep that night).
We had hoopla, like a carefully choreographed dance recital each councilor had a turn to stand up and recite from his particular part of the script. Remember Councilor Gallant clarifying the “silly” rumors one that pops to mind quickly was the gopher hunters. Remember Councilor Saindon justifying all the use of consultants to replace all our absence administrators. Let your memory wander back to all those senior managers fleeing our community to get married, or for the greener pastures of
Then we had the main character in this theatrical production take over for the second half, we heard about the importance of putting together an Economic Development committee, about how the frozen situation at River Run is beginning to thaw, how he is going after our rich neighbors to the north to solve our financial woes. Then we reached the climax of this play the Crowsnest Centre site, the beautiful picture of what a hotel “could” look like. The building gone before first snowfall, the developer starting the hotel by spring I was so excited by the time I left, I treated the wife to a coffee at Timmy’s.
The BS was really served up in 2012 let us review a few of the yarns that have been spun in the last year:
1. As previously, mentioned the old hospital gone before first snowfall?
2. The hotel starting in Spring? Not without #1 happening very fast, I have heard just two more weeks and the deal will be in place at least a half dozen times?
I hope they are collecting air miles for all their trips out west?
4. MD of Ranchlands surprisingly it was never mentioned in previous discussions that it would take a minimum of 18 months to deal with this issue starting in spring?
5. Heavy Industry looking at the Pass in the first quarter of 2013, 700 jobs wow?
6. River Run, that’s going to be tied up in the legal process for years?
7. $1.5 million set aside for recreational purposes we now find out that it is waiting for the same recreational feasibility study that was discussed two years ago.
8. Then we have the Economic Development committee that was so important just a few months back, and yes I remember the Mayor stating at a council meeting that the Development Officer will be in place by Christmas. Now I read that this is being pushed back to at the earliest “May” this council will have four months left? What if the next council chooses to go in a different direction?
I understand has a politician you have to sell hope, but when you create expectations especially with timelines you better be prepared to meet them.
Looking forward to 2013 let us hope all of the things listed above become real, and please stop trying to satisfy our appetite with so much salt.